We tried this made with oyster mushrooms in Peru – a real hit and ideal for a starter or extended to make one of a group of salads
Serve either in a bowl or glass or as a topping for toasted bread. Don’t use much hot pepper — just enough to give the ceviche a little heat.
Make Ahead: The mushrooms need to be refrigerated in the marinade overnight.
The flavors in these marinated mushrooms are what you would expect to taste when enjoying ceviche, only without the seafood.
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 1lb oz mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon honey (or agave for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
In a cast iron skillet, roast 2 garlic cloves until brown on each side. Mash the garlic and place in a large bowl with the mushrooms, red onion and bell peppers.